Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Car Talk

The Accord's driver-side low beam was out, so rather than get pulled over (like last time) I got on the ball right away and bought a new bulb. Of course (just like last time) I couldn't get that sucker to budge. So off to the Honda dealership CJ and I went. This is how it unfolded...
***drive into Express Service bay***
Service guy: How can I help you today?
Me: I just need the driver's side low beam bulb replaced. I already have the bulb I just can't loosen it ***I'm sure they LOVE people like me, (hi, fix my car but I brought my own parts!)***
Service guy: Okay, we can get that taken care of for you today, it's a flat 45 dollar fee for a headlight service.
Me: 45 DOLLARS!
Service guy: Yes, ma'am (okay I HATE it when people call me ma'am - makes me feel old!) 45 dollars is our standard fee.
***Doing some quick thinking on how I can get out of there***
***Remembering last time when Apple Valley Ford couldn't get it out either***
***Thinking a fix-it-ticket is probably more than $45***
Me: Okay, go for it

***waiting, waiting, keeping CJ occupied with PBS kids on the service lounge computer, waiting, 40 minutes later...***

Service guy: Okay ma'am (there's that damn ma'am again), he's almost got it finished now. He did note a few things though. Your battery seems to be low on voltage.
Me: No thanks
Service guy: There is an open recall on the wiper motor, we could have that done in about an hour.
***looking at CJ ready to climb the walls or anything else in sight***
Me:I'll make an appointment to do that at another time
Service guy: He also noticed some of the clips that hold the fender wall on (plastic pieces of shit) have came off, we can replace all 4 of them for $4 apiece.
Me: No thanks
Service guy: And then finally I see you are coming up on your 105,000 mile service check. That is where we replace the timing belt and the water pump.
Me: Oh, is there something wrong with my timing belt or my water pump.
Service guy: No, we just replace those things at that mileage.
Me: No thanks ( I really wanted to say, well if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I thought that might be pushing it a little)
Service guy: Okay, I'll just have him finish up and it will be ready in a few minutes.
***A few minutes pass***
Service guy: Okay ma'am (uggh stop with the ma'am) we're all set here. I've reduced the price a bit, the cashier can finish up for you.

Cashier: That'll be 27 dollars and 94 cents.

And a few after-thoughts. How did the price suddenly go from $45 to $27.94? Especially after I wasn't too gracious to do the "add ons"? And the thing that makes me laugh most...
The actual charge for the headlight replacement was $24.99 and then a charge for Misc Shop Supplies $2.95. Must have been that disposable wrench?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you listen to Car Talk on MPR? It is hilarious!
God do I have dealership stories. The latest was when they talked me into a transmission flush. When I told my dad he asked if they wanted to change the air in my tires too. : P
Carin

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

This is the exact reason I HATE doing the oil changes on our cars! Every time they give me a whole list of things that need this or that and I start to feel guilty, but not wanting to spend any extra money. I always give them the line that I need to talk to my husband, but they continue to point out EVERYTHING that is wrong.
UGH.
At least you didn't have to pay the full price!

Emily said...

This makes me even more thankful that I was able to find a decent "hometown" mechanic that does oil changes. Over the 4 years they have only pointed out things that were truly wrong and have been honest as to what things they recommend and they don't push it. What's even better, they even know me by name.

Its probably stupid but its small things like this that remind me that I do like living in O-town.