Friday, September 26, 2008

An early visit from the tooth fairy...

CJ had his tooth extraction today. It was much less traumatic than I was expecting, it's 5 hours later and he hasn't complained once. The anesthesia was just inhalation, some laughing gas and then something to make him sleep. The doctor said that girls usually sit quietly in the chair and go to sleep while boys tend to squirm and try to get comfortable in the chair. CJ was true to his gender and squirmed around until he was on his stomach in the chair. The assistant said he was the first she's seen make it all the way to their stomachs. Then he was asleep, the flipped him back over, escorted me to the waiting room and came and got me 10 minutes later. CJ was already awake in the recovery area sucking on some gauze. The doctor said kids bounce back really fast from this and don't need any pain meds or anything. So the only script we came home with was a pint of Strawberry Haagen Daz from the doctor with a script attached saying, take 1 teaspoon as needed for comfort. Cute.

CJ's tooth came out in pieces, and because I'm sure your dying for a visual...



He even let me take a picture of the hole in his mouth...



On the way home he was still numb from the novocaine and was crying because he couldn't smile. Then he wondered how he was going to brush his teeth if there was a hole there now. I reassured him he would be both smiling and brushing by tonight. So now he's excited to see how much money the tooth fairy brings him tonight. What's the going rate on an extracted tooth from the tooth fairy? I already told him I'd take him to Target to pick out his prize. This is what he wants. A Darth Vader voice changing helmet. Fun!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Glad to hear the tooth yanking went well.

Not surprised that if any kid found themselves stomach up on the dentist chair to "get comfortable" that it would be CJ.

Hopefully this will be the end of the tooth saga, and lets hope he doesn't develop any fear of the dentist.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear. Not sure which I found more creepy, the tooth or Darth Vader. Glad it went well and I hope he enjoys his prize. G'ma Beth

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Wow! I could have done without the gruesome tooth pictures, but it was good to hear how CJ did today. Anthony was very concerned about his pal and kept saying owie. He said it over and over again until we prayed for CJ to feel better. :)
Super cute.
I hope he continues to feel good and that tonight goes well.
Enjoy your weekend and happy early birthday, Charlie!