Saturday, September 19, 2009

More from the grilled pizza...

After Mara asked where the recipe for the grilled pizza was, I figured it deserved it's own blog entry.

Recipe from Sara's brilliant brain... (she did the thinking, I did the grilling)


Fresh pizza dough rolled from Brianno's in Eagan - this dough turned out great.  At first we were a little skeptical because it was so thin, but it made for a great thin crispy crust.  We took a large unbaked crust and quartered it, it was easier to flip on the grill, plus we could make different varieties of pizza.

The grill needs to be pretty low so the dough has time to "bake" without burning.

Brush 1 side of the dough with olive oil.
Place oil side down on grill.
Grill for a couple of minutes until it starts to "bubble"
Flip dough over - we found it easier to remove from grill and flip and oil the other side.
Put freshly oiled side down on grill.  Quickly put on your toppings (on the previously grilled side), and finish grilling (cover closed) for another couple of minutes just until cheese melted but crust not burned.  This took some tweaking as well with the grill temp and timing.  It was delicious!  Sara and I's favorite was the Margharita - fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and fresh mozzerella (the fresh toasted garlic was good on there too).  We also did pepperoni, sausage and other "more normal pizza toppings" for those less adventerous.

You should try it...fun and delicious.  Although it's a eat in stages type of meal.

3 comments:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Great new look of the blog! The pictures of the boys are great.
The absolute best pizza I've ever had was grilled. I, unfortunately, didn't make it and have yet to try something that creative. Perhaps I should move to Farmington and become your new neighbor?!

Anonymous said...

I have done this before! It is great! I have used the Pillsbury crusts and it works just as well. The Margarita pizza is by far the best variation that I have tried as well.

Anonymous said...

oops that was Rita, by the way, in the above entry