Monday, July 13, 2009

World's Largest Wild Rice Festival

It's been quite a few years since I've attended The World's Largest Wild Rice Festival, my hometown of Deer River's community festival. I'm pretty sure CJ has never been, and not sure if Charlie has either. Usually it seems to fall on my weekend to work, but this year all the stars aligned and we were able to attend. Even better the Bain Train, Emily and the Hanson's were there as well.

Saturday morning we kicked off the festivities with the bike rodeo. Basically take a whole mess of kids and their parents and bikes, get a bike inspection, run through some "drills" and then see if your name is called as one of the lucky bike winners. Would you believe CJ and Rylee BOTH won bikes this year!?! The look on CJs face was pretty priceless when his name was called. There were far too many people between us to get a picture. He was impressed his name was called, I was impressed they pronouced LeFebvre correctly!

Reagan ready with her bike...


Rylee's turn...

Family photo op!
CJs turn... CJ actually only got through 2 of the drills before they called it off because it was time for the bike drawings...he wasn't disappointed, he was getting tired of waiting in line...

CJ and the donor of his new bike, Bob Wilhelm - the bike rodeo is named after his son who died in a bike accident years ago, before I was born.

Papa Craig keeping Nicholas entertained

Saturday afternoon we hung around with Papa Craig, unfortunately Grandma Beth was in Fargo for the weekend. While Nick napped, the kids enjoyed a tractor ride from Papa Craig.

I like this photo finish, it looks like an old newspaper clipping

After Nicholas woke up from his 2 1/2 hour nap (hooray for long naps!) we went to Winnie Dam to play and look around.

Emily getting dizzy on the merry-go-round

Who can resist a swing!

R&R

This little guy followed us around and wanted his picture taken. Say cheese, now you're on a blog!

Reagan and Papa

Papa and the older grandkids, where's Nick?

Here I am!

Yes Jamie, it really is the Mississippi!

Plug Hat Point - many great swimming memories here.

No beach + steep cliff to water + poison ivy = Unfortunately, no longer a good swimming place for kids...

Saturday evening Emily, Jamie and I ventured into Deer River for the street dance, woo hoo! Good times! It was great to chat with Tonja, find out Manda's news (congrats!), and talk to people I haven't seen for awhile. I talked to one person for a good 10 minutes before I figured out who it was! Camera stayed at home...no pics, sorry.


Sunday, we went to the parade and then headed home.

Waiting for the parade




CJ is NOT a fan of parade noise - guns, fire trucks, police cars, ambulances, loud bands - you name it, he has his hands over his ears.

Then he found a nice aunt who covered his ears for him, what kind of precedent is she trying to set?
What a great weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! Thanks for posting them. Mom

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your camera!!! Great pics once again!

Anonymous said...

BTW - could you do a little Photoshop action on that double chin of mine next time????? ;)

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

What great photos of WRF weekend, Erin. (Yes, I'm still extremely envious!) My favorite one is of Papa Craig and CJ on the tractor. It was great to see you up there. I'm looking forward to a get together soon --- let's chat!