Thursday, February 5, 2009

CRASH!!!!

the laptop hard drive crashed. Fortunately I was able to get about 800 of my 1800 pictures I took since October onto my external hard drive. It's under warranty so thankfully we didn't have to pay for the repair. When I dropped it off, they thought it was a software issue. He said before they had to erase anything they would call us for the data recovery, which would be an additional $99. When I didn't hear anything else, silly me assumed the data recovery would be included since it was a hardware issue. Silly me, the guy laughed at me when I asked him about the data. He said "ma'am you had a physical hard drive failure, there is no recovery". oh.

At first I wasn't too concerned, I got most of my pictures - I had checked and all the "big events" were still there. (although I haven't figured out yet what didn't transfer) (might not want to know). But then I started to realize everything else... our bills spreadsheet (what to pay when), the full inbox of emails "to follow up on of some kind", all my Zune music. Ick.

There is something to be said for "backup". Especially since I've had a stack of DVDs for back up sitting in my laptop bag for months now.

Live and learn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugggg!!! Any idea how this happened?
~Mara

Erin said...

No clue what happened. The screen would freeze and wouldn't shut down or anything. The Geerk Squad lady said they've been getting back tons of computers lately. But no rhyme or reason to brand or anything...odd.

Team Tuttle said...

Oh, that stinks! I'm sorry to hear about your computer - it is a good reminder that I need to be better at 'backing up' all my files!