CJ got invited to his first preschool birthday party this week, he is so excited. The gift has been purchased, all that's left is to send a RSVP to the birthday boy's Mom to let her know CJs coming. In my usual state of procrastination tonight, I was tooling around online with the invite sitting next to me. I caught up on some blogs, some message boards and read the news. I finally got to my email to RSVP to the party and as I'm typing the name I'm thinking hmmmm...that name sounds really familiar didn't I just read that last name? I switch over to said newspaper and here is the story ... (names removed to protect the innocent - or not so innocent)
Marijuana grown as 'a joke' suspect says
**** ***** told police he started growing marijuana as a joke, but things just got serious.
Dakota County Drug Task Force agents searched *****’s **** Street home last Aug. 22 and found 15 marijuana plants, including six located in children’s bedrooms. Police also found grow lights, marijuana leaves, a box of unknown pills and a line of white powder that turned out to be a crushed Vicodin pill.
Now that discovery has led to felony drug charges against the 27-year-old Farmington man.
According to a complaint filed Jan. 9 in the Dakota County Attorney’s office **** told one of the task force agents he’d planted the marijuana seeds three months earlier and that he didn’t think it would be a problem. He said he started growing the plants as a joke, but that he used the marijuana for his personal use.
In all task force agents found just less than a pound of marijuana.
**** was convicted of a fifth degree drug offense in March of 1996. If convicted this time on a fifth degree drug charge he could face up to 10 years in jail and fines of up to $20,000. A petty misdemeanor charge for possession of drug paraphernalia carries a maximum fine of $300.
My first thought is nah, can't be the same person. I grabbed the class parent info sheet and sure enough, name matches, address matches.
Now what the hell do I do? The invitation does say "parents are welcome to stay if you wish to join in the fun" (oh yeah, now we know what kind of fun that is!), but I have to work and Charlie will be home with Nick. Am I being an over-reacting mom by not letting him go? I don't think so. What would you do? How do you tell CJ he won't be going to the birthday party after all? I think if I let him have the gift he will quickly forgive me. Help!
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
YIKES! This is one of those got-to-make-the-best-call-to-protect-your-child sort of thing.
First thing, good job following up on the last name! (Although I'm not surprised because you would make a great detective if you ever decide to switch careers!)
Secondly, I feel bad for this poor other child who is innocent and has a parent who's making bad choices! I wonder how many friends won't be attending his party now because of this article?
Lastly, and most importantly, your job is to keep CJ safe.
Am I being mean if my gut is saying Anthony would be staying home and not attending his first big party that he's super jazzed about?
Be sure to let me know what Charlie and you decide to do!
No way, Jose!!! I'd completely keep CJ home! You're right; it is very sad for the poor kid! I'd send the gift to preschool for him.
~Mara
I too think that you have to be CJ's best advocate! I like Mara's idea - send the present to school if you must but I wouldn't let my child attend a party where the plant was being grown in the children's bedrooms!
As for CJ... design something that might be more appealing than going to that party and I bet he'll be ok. You could have finger painting madness or a summer picnic (complete with all picnic foods and fun) in the basement...
It boils down to you protecting your kids... there are so many things in this world that your kids are going to be exposed to without your knowledge - this is one instance where you can protect him from things that are known facts. You deserve Mom of the Year - for your detective skills!
Woah, really? Wow, I thought I was the only one growing it as a joke...NOT! WTF, did he really think that was a good excuse? Wow, the people out there are awesome!
I would totally keep CJ home and I don't even have kids. If Portland, my cat, were invited to a cat party were the parents were growing illegal cat nip, I would keep her home. Send the gift to school and plan something wayyyy cooler for CJ to do at home.
You will have to let me know what you decide. See you at work.
Rita
I think you should tell CJ that he gets to go to "Auntie" Jean's house instead!!!!! For real...
Post a Comment