Sunday, January 18, 2009

Middle of the Night Phone Calls

Phone calls in the middle of the night are rarely ever good things. The last time I got a phone call in the middle of the night it was Tonja telling me her parent's house was on fire. Last night I was sleeping soundly when the phone rings. Usually the first thing I do is hit my alarm clock thinking its that going off. Nope, no alarm clock. Crap the phone is out in the kitchen. Ringing, ringing...talking caller id is saying unavailable. Crap who could it be, what's going on. Ringing stops, I'm thinking hopefully I recognize the number so I can call them back. Oh, their calling back. Ringing, ringing some more. I look at the number. It's Mara's cell phone. Oh crap, what's this. The mental checklist goes off. the girls? Jason - no he's not working? wait, Mara's up north with Kirsten what happened?

Me: Hello?
Mara: Whattaya doin?
Me: Ahh...sleeping.
Mara: Oh, well...which one of Tonja's cousins was paralyzed in that accident?
Me: Ahh...neither.
Mara: Well which cousin was in the accident?
Me: It was Brett and Wade, why?
Mara: Oh, we just saw "the Monica" at the bar and I was wondering.
Me: Oh.
Mara: Okay, we're going to Zorba's now i.e. Willow Beach so that will be fun.
Me: Great, have fun!
Mara: I'm not driving
Me: That's good
Mara: Kirsten's driving...so, if anything else comes up I guess it can wait until morning.
Me: Okay
Mara: Athough its 12:30 so technically its morning so I'll let you know if anything comes up.
Me: Great!

A few funny things about this conversation...
1) The fact that she CALLS BACK after I didn't answer the first time, like what the heck is she doing that she's not answering the phone

2) The comment "Zorba's ie Willow Beach" - actually Willow Beach was an old supper club by Ball Club - Zorba's used to be Bridgeside, or Captain Hooks - but never Willow Beach

3) It took me awhile to put together the whole Tonja's cousin, Monica and why this has any importance to Mara and Kirsten. Then I remember. Monica who is/was married (are they still?) to Tonja's cousin used to date Kirsten's now husband. Yeah, small town - don't ask. And apparantly dated Kirsten's husbands best friend too, but who's counting.

And they could remember that some of those cousins were in an accident - how one suddenly got paralyzed is news to me, but apparently a night of cocktails at the Dutch Room skews ones memory.

I think I'll stick to my original thought...Phone calls in the middle of the night are rarely ever good things. Just kidding, call me anytime. I love to chat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh do not mock the importantance of that piece of information at that exact moment!! :)

I have heard (and I'm not kidding) that the iPhone's have an "anti-drunk dial" feature whereby you blow into a breathalizer that disables the phone's outgoing call capability if your BAC is too high. While this is designed for exes and others of the sort, I'm certain there are more than a few people in my address book who wish my BlackBerry had this!!!

Thanks for always being there! :)

~Mara

Emily said...

Thats hilarious!

And I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not but when I read through the conversation and read "Zorba's now i.e. Willow Beach" I knew exactly what Mara was talking about even though I knew there was a bar called Zorba's up there but had no idea it was even in GR. And I had no idea bridgeside/captain hooks was re-named.

But now I realized that I have the same thought process as a drunk Mara. Yikes?

Mechlin Muse said...

This is too funny! When I read the "Zorba's now i.e. Willow Beach" I thought, "Isn't that in Ball Club? What are they doing partying in Ball Club?"

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

This is just too funny and left me in tears with laughter.
I honestly never knew that Monica had dated Kirsten's hubby; however, I'm not that surprised... :)
Next weekend my SIL will be home from Tahoe and I'm sure we'll be going out with the first stop being the Dutch Room. I'll be sure to call you with a bit of GR news and have some questions too! (Like -- did I really date/like so and so, Erin?)
One correction: BRENT and Wade -- No one was paralyzed; however, Brent was in a coma for many weeks.