Friday, May 30, 2008

The "fours" appointments

CJ had his 4 year checkup and Nicholas had his 4 month checkup.



CJ - 51 pounds (uff da!), 43 inches tall

Did all his tasks correctly, stand on one foot, count to 10, correctly identify shapes, colors, drew a circle and a plus sign. and most importantly...entertained the doctor!



CJ: "Mrs. Lady, why is your breath spicy?" (where Mrs. Lady came from I'm not sure)

MD: "Oh, that's my gum."

CJ: "Why do you have gum"

MD: "Because I drank coffee and I didn't want my breath to smell."

CJ: "Where is your gum?"

MD: "Oh, I tuck it into my cheek so people can't see I have gum"

CJ: "Let me see it"

I was sure he was going to ask for a piece of gum, but was impressed that he didn't.



He had a great time playing with her tools.
CJ: "Did you eat your Popsicle?"

MD" "No, I didn't have a Popsicle, that's for looking in peoples mouths."



And while she was on the phone talking to a parent he conspicuously tried peeking in all her pockets - I'm sure looking where she kept her sucker supply.



One thing I love about this pediatrician office is you can talk to your pediatrician anytime they are in the office. When you call, you press the corresponding key for your particular pediatrician and it transfers you right to their pocket phone. The trade off is when it's your appointment time, it can be interrupted with phone calls. But I think it's a fair trade knowing your pediatrician is available whenever you need him/her. No receptionist or triage nurse to go through, go right to the MD. Of course, being as nosey as I am, I always like to eavesdrop on what people call their pediatricians for. This appointment's callers, a blocked tear duct in a newborn and allergies. I can only imagine what the poor patient's parents thought when the doctor answered my various calls when CJ had rotovirus so horribly!



Nicholas - 15 lbs, 6 oz , 26 1/4 inches
(in comparison, CJ at 4 months was 19 lbs 1 oz, and 26 inches long

He also did well, stood on one foot, counted to 10, just kidding.
She said she didn't think he needed a helmet for his flat head, it does seem to be getting better. On the eczema, she didn't really have anything new to add. Just, yep he's got eczema (knew that already). And I'm already doing the things she suggested. She did say when it gets bad we could use a hydrocortisone cream on his face. I'm leery of putting steroids on his face though, so probably won't unless it gets real bad. She also said if it seems to be bothering him at night to give him 1/2 tsp of children's benadryl. Again, I probably won't unless it seems really bad, not too into giving him drugs he doesn't really need. He took his 3 shots like a champ, only cried a little bit.

4 comments:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Nicholas and Anthony have something in common - eczema. His skin has always been a bit dry and red; however, when we went swimming two weeks ago it became scary skin. I brought him in right away and learned that it was eczema.

On another none medical note - HAPPY GOLDEN BIRTHDAY!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I didn't even think it was your GOLDEN birthday! Happy Day!

Anonymous said...

Well Happy Bday! I didn't know it was your bday. When do you work next??? ***Rita***

I love the CJ convos.

Erin said...

The best cream for eczema I've found yet is Baby Aveeno Soothing Relief Moisture Cream for lotion and for soap the Soothing Relief Creamy Wash. I've tried others, but this is the most moisturizing and seems to last the longest.